Becoming a new employer

There are a few important things you need to do when employing staff for the first time.


  • Decide how much to pay someone – you must pay your employee at least the minimum wage. This is £6.50 for people aged 21 and over and £5.13 for 18-21 year olds.


  • Check if someone has the legal right to work in the UK – The Agency will do this as one of our background check.


  • Disclosure and Barring Service check – As your new employee will be working with children they will need to hold an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check. Candidate criteria for the Agency states that candidates must hold, or be willing to hold before employment, a Disclosure and Barring Service check. If a new check is required then the Agency can assist both you and your new employee with this at a cost of £60. This fee will be paid directly to the Agency via BACs payment by either you or your new employee by mutual agreement. It is advised that a new check should be done before each employment unless the employee has signed up for the ‘Updating Service’.


  • Get employment insurance – You must get Employers’ Liability (EL) insurance as soon as you become an employer – your policy must cover you for at least £5 million and come from an authorised insurer. EL insurance will help you pay compensation if an employee is injured or becomes ill because of the work they do for you. You can be fined £2,500 every day you are not properly insured. You can also be fined £1,000 if you do not display your EL certificate or refuse to make it available to inspectors when they ask.


  • Send details of the job (including terms and conditions) in writing to your employee. You need to give your employee a ‘written statement of employment’ if you’re employing someone for more than 1 month.


  • Tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) by registering as an employer – you can do this up to 4 weeks before you pay your new staff on


You will also need to consider ‘Workplace Pensions’. Information on this can also be found on the HMRC website,